Middle Camp - 6 and 7 Year Olds (Entering 1st and 2nd Graders)
While groups remain small and personal, the program steps up to a challenging and exciting level with more advanced swimming and sports instruction, special sports challenges, expanded creative and performing arts programs, and new specialty activities and special events.
Our certified swim staff provides our 6 and 7 year olds with an opportunity to develop individual skills in a challenging, safe, and supportive environment. Campers swim in our Mid-size and Olympic-size pools to maximize skill development. Our outstanding swim program features:
- 7 heated swimming pools, including swimming in our state-of-the-art Olympic size swimming pools.
- 40-minute swim lessons each morning.
- Small Camp Hillard Aquatics Groups organized by ability. All groups are taught by certified instructors.
- Instruction in all major strokes, elementary diving, and water safety.
- More formal instruction for advanced swimmers in deep water.
- Proper safety and supervision at all times.
- Afternoon Free Swim is highlighted by a diving board, a bigger water slide, boat races, swim races, special swim events and the opportunity swim at our Olympic Pool Complex and go down our spectacular 135' Water Park Slide.
- Towels are provided by Camp for all swim periods.
Middle Campers get a chance to further develop their sports skills. Age-appropriate and more advanced equipment is utilized, allowing for a more challenging environment. Our emphasis is always on developing athletic skills, learning, and having fun. In addition to game play in all sports, instruction is provided by some of the finest coaches in the area. Entering 2nd grade boys also have sports choice periods during the week.
Middle Camp takes part in Weekly Sports Leagues. Games are closely supervised, with an emphasis on strengthening skills, rules of the game, good sportsmanship, and teamwork. Campers participate in basketball, street hockey, field hockey, softball (girls), baseball (boys), soccer and walled soccer.
Middle Camp participates in all aspects of our Creative and Performing Arts Program. Arts and Crafts include more advanced projects in such areas as Ceramics, Pottery, Jewelry and Bead Making. The performing arts program is highlighted by our famous Hillard Theater performances. Middle Camp shows are longer and more elaborate than Junior Camp. and fully integrate singing, music, dance, choreography and teamwork. Middle camp shows have included Camp Rock, Willy Wonka, Anything Goes, The Little Mermaid, Newsies, and Jersey Boys. Entering 2nd grade boys can choose these programs through our hobby choice periods.
The Middle Camp program includes favorites such as boxball, gymnastics, tennis on larger courts, miniature golf, ga-ga, creative play, pony rides, horseback, outdoor adventure (Zip lines, climbing wall, Flying Squirrel), and baseball/softball batting cages.
Individual activities are scheduled for boys and girls entering 2nd grade on a choice basis where campers can spend extra time on favorite activities. These include tennis, horseback, gymnastics, aerobic boxing, archery, ping-pong, miniature golf, golf skills center and driving range, batting cages, zip line, flying squirrel, 30ft climbing wall, boxball, and ga-ga.
Camp Hillard values such as getting along with others, respect for each other, being a good listener, improving dressing habits, keeping camp clean and encouraging confidence are all stressed.